Previous participation in orchestra for at least two years, and/or an audition for the conductor is required. Ownership or rental of an instrument is required. Musical literature and method books will be provided by the school. Advanced orchestra will build left-hand skills such as shifting and vibrato, as well as advanced bow techniques.
A variety of musical styles will be studied through the playing of orchestra literature. Rehearsals and performances outside of normal school hours are required as part of this course.
- The student will reinforce and/or improve his/her working knowledge of the proper position and technique necessary in playing a musical instrument.
- The student will develop the ability to play a string instrument from notation at the grade III/IV level as described by the Virginia Band and Orchestra Directors’ Association (VBODA).
- The student will experience the performance of musical literature at the grade III/IV level as described by the VBODA.
- The student will clearly demonstrate a practical understanding through performance of expressive musical concepts.
- The student will be able to assess adequately his/her performance of expressive musical concepts.